Sunday, April 25, 2010

Earthquakes

It's big news now. It's constant news. The networks, the paper- they are all talking about the earthquakes going on around the world. So here's the question: What would you do right now, as you are reading this, if the earth started violently shaking?

I asked a co-worker this question, and he said he would run down the stairs (that are lined by glass windows), and go outside to get away from the building (where there are power lines and chemicals galore).

If the earth were shaking, he wouldn't have made it down the stairs, even if the glass wasn't a majorly overlooked part of his plan. A couple of weeks ago, I fell down a few of my stairs and hurt myself pretty badly- and the ground was stable at the time! I can only imagine trying to get down a full flight of stairs (yes, I've counted: 21 stairs).

So in America where we have good sturdy building codes, we "duck, cover, and hold on tight." Get under something sturdy and hold on to it if you can. If there is nothing to get under, try to get against an inside wall and protect the head and neck from falling debris.

I am currently going through classes called CERT or NET training. They have these classes around the country, and it's free. My family has a much better chance of surviving and helping others to survive a disaster because of these classes.

So what would you do if disaster struck right now? Are you prepared?

No comments:

Post a Comment