Thursday, May 13, 2010

I am woman. Hear me roar.

I have never been the average girl. I am tall and some find me imposing. The only time I have felt petite is standing next to my 7’3” brother. I have never been too into hair and make up either. I’m pretty, but rarely “high maintenance” pretty.

Anyway, to add to this dynamic that I grew up with, I have taken on activities that are more guy-focused. Martial arts for one. I used to have these big thick-necked guys come in to talk about classes, and they looked at me a certain way (oh the girl- she must work the front desk or sales). They looked at me a whole different way after their introductory lesson with me. Martial arts not only changed my persona, but I always had to work harder than the men in the industry to prove that I was just as good/strong/skilled as they were.

The newest thing that I have done lately that causes this phenomena where people look at me differently is my motorcycle. It’s mostly a guy stereotype, and the girl is stereotypically supposed to be the passenger.

I have a pretty feminine jacket and a butterfly helmet. I ride everywhere I can, and I LOVE it. People STARE though. Men and women look at me like they can’t believe that a lady would be riding her own bike. Many of the women I encounter this way catch my eye and then stick their thumbs up- there is a certain empowerment to this, and women seem to understand and support this dynamic.
I have joined a couple of welcoming lady rider groups, and they are a variety of fantastic women who share pride in doing what they do. There is a tint of feminism in the general attitude among them, and I love it. I am woman, hear me roar.

No comments:

Post a Comment